Natural Resources Career Camp is for Maryland and Mid-Atlantic high school students interested in pursuing studies or a career in forestry and natural resources. The week-long camp is full of hands on activities with lodging and meals included. This year camp will be held Sunday, July 21 through Saturday, July 27, 2019 at the Hickory Environmental Center in Garrett County, Maryland.
Join field professionals from accross the state for seven days of intense instruction and fun. You'll learn by doing:
- Activities include: tree climbing and tree pruning.
- Activities include: fish-shocking and macroinvertebrate sampling in a stream.
- Activities include: usage of professional grade Global Positioning System equipment and Geographic Information System software to create maps.
- Activities include: tree identification and soil sampling.
- Activities include: development and presentation of a real forest management plan.
Wildland Fire Suppression
- Activities include: truck, equipment, and safety demonstrations by certified wildland firefighters.
- Activities include: guest speakers from Maryland DNR, area colleges, and organizations (some include live animals).
- Activities include: tour of working sawmill and chainsaw usage.
Career and College Nights
- Activities include: discussions with field professionals (DNR, NR Police, consultants, procurers, biologists, etc.) and representatives from top regional college natural resource programs.
Students may choose to earn two college credits (fee required) from Allegany College of Maryland. To be eligible, students must be at least 16 years old by the end of NRCC week, attend the entire week of camp, complete a short exam, and present a forest management plan as part of a team. The credits will tansfer to most Maryland community colleges and several four year colleges and universities.
The NRCC tuition is $450.00 plus a $125.00 activity fee. Allegany County Forestry Board offers two scholarships each year! Please visit the following link to see the entire brochure and register for camp: http://marylandforestryboards.org/nrcc.cfm